May 23, 2012

I Don't Want to be a Millionaire

It's true, I don't want to be a Millionaire, a Billionaire, or even just filthy rich. I know living in a western capitalist society that it sounds strange, or even unheard of, but it's absolutely true. I don't want to be rich. I urge to be comfortable, and have some money in the bank, but I don't want the hassle of being rich. I never have, and I suspect that I never will. I honestly hope that is a trait I can pass onto my children as well.


Why don't I want to be rich? I guess that's the complicated part. I don't want the hassle, and I do not see any reason for it. I see celebrities showered in free gifts, and given millions of dollars for absolutely no reason. I don't see a reason why, in a world where there are people starving to death, why 1 person should be making millions and billions of dollars; I find that absolutely appalling.

I'm no saint by any stretch of the imagination, but I do have morals. I don't understand why people who can absolutely afford anything should be given anything free of charge, just to get a brand out there. It blows my mind, and simultaneously pisses me off to no end. Why go through the trouble of ensuring that a celebrity gets a free pair of shoes, but millions of children in our own country have trouble obtaining a decent pair.

That's just some of it. I don't understand how we live in a "tough economic climate" and yet there are record profits being made, and unemployment is out of control. I just don't understand it. We have trillions of dollars in debt, and yet we made 128 new billionaires this year alone. The original Forbes list can be found Here. It blows my mind.

I understand that hard work pays off. I have been a hard worker most of my life, and I still struggle, but I also have the insane notion that also defines me. I honestly do hope that one day my hard work does add up, and I do land a great job with great pay with great people. But I don't want to be rich in the process. I want to live comfortably. That is my goal in life, to work for myself from home, and be able to be comfortable doing so. I don't even want to be well off with no worries in life, I just want to be comfortable. That doesn't seem like an outlandish dream, it actually sounds mundane in comparison to some of the fiscal goals I've discussed with others.

I do know this, if I did have millions of dollars, there would be a lot of happy charities. I'd still make my kids get jobs, and they would work them. Sure, I would help them out here or there, but they would honestly grow to understand the value of a dollar and how much it means to make that dollar.

I don't want to be remembered for the amount of money I had while alive. I want to be remembered for the legacy I left behind. Currency cannot be taken with us when we pass, but the value of what we left behind can be felt for generations.

Photo taken by: Hoboton and hosted at stock.xchng.

No comments: